How to Remove a Judgment from Your Credit Report

When it comes to removing difficult, negative items from your credit report, one of the very first things you need to pay attention to is the public record section. This will almost always be the first set of records displayed, and no – it's not ordinarily used to showcase your bevy of commendable public accomplishments.

Public records can include any number of items that are, exactly as it sounds, a matter of public record! Whilst much of your credit report is protected from prying eyes, certain missteps and mistakes are recorded and documented for general review by your neighbors, in-laws and co-workers. Court Judgments, Bankruptcies and Foreclosures (among others) are some of the most severe and detrimental entries that can disgrace a consumers credit report. And while the credit report itself isn't available to be reviewed by just anyone, a trip to the local courthouse will reflect any of the above, on you – in your particular county.

Now, while not a rosy picture at all, there is some good news to share as well! Judgments are oftentimes some of the easiest things to remove from your report. Why? Well, the general nature of the credit repair process involves expeditiousness, or speed in process. And we all know that the courts move like molasses. The general overview is, if you dispute a public record item, the agency needs to contact the court house in writing, and have the derogatory listing verified as accurate, or it has to come off of your report. While getting better with this over the last few years due to technology, for the most part, judgments can and are removed from tens of thousands of reports every year simply due to the expiration of time allotted to investigate the item. (This is generally accepted to be 30 days)

Even if your particular record is verified by the court – you have PLENTY of options, either with, or without the assistance of professional legal counsel. You can challenge the legality of service, ie – how you were served the court papers way back when, you can file a motion to vacate the judgment using any number of legal predicates, and maybe even most powerfully for many, you can offer a settlement to the JC or judicial collector. This simply amounts to paying off all, a portion or even a fraction of the amount owed in return for a markdown in the severity of the item on your credit report. While this may sound difficult to do, it is not, is done everyday, and quite frankly – the JC just wants the money anyway, they have no vested interest in your FICO score .. 🙂

Any number of the above methods will work if you put them into action. If you have a judicial Judgment, you very simply need to learn the various ways and means that you can attack it. Education is Power!

Source by Ian Hollander

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *