Identity theft is a threat to everyone, but you don't have to be a casualty. Stop ID theft in its tracks by taking action today so you don't have to spend months or even years trying to repair your good name.
How to Stop Identity Theft On a Schedule:
Most of us use calendars to remind us to go to meetings, run errands, or remember a dentist appointment. Even when our "to-do" list seems endless, calendars keep us focused, on time, and on track.
In addition to keeping our lives organized, calendars are great tools to stop ID theft. Calendars enable you to spot suspicious activity quickly and help you plan ahead to know when, where, and how to stop ID theft:
– When to stop identity theft: Now! Start a "Credit Calendar" today and follow it closely, month after month, to protect your identity.
– Where to stop ID theft: Everywhere! Identity thieves will stop at nothing to steal your personal information. Unless you have a comprehensive plan in place, your identity is at risk of being stolen.
– How to stop identity theft: Be proactive! Setup paper or electronic calendars to remind you to implement credit freezes and monitor credit reports.
How to Stop Identity Theft By Implementing a Credit Freeze:
A credit freeze is simply locking down your credit to prevent any charges or new accounts from being setup without your consent. Setup your paper or electronic calendar to remind you to implement a credit freeze once per quarter. Since a credit freeze expires after 90 days, you'll need to mark your calendar accordingly to remind you to start another credit freeze in 90 days.
– How to stop identity theft tip: Start your first credit freeze on the day you always pay your bills. If you pay your bills on the first of the month, your Credit Calendar could show that you need to do a credit freeze on August 1, November 1, February 1, and May 1. Put it on the calendar and forget about it for 90 days!
How to Stop Identity Theft By Monitoring Credit Reports:
Carefully monitoring your credit report is critical to quickly spot and stop ID theft. The three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and Transunion, each allow you to order your credit report for free once per year. You'll need your Credit Calendar to schedule which credit bureau to use and when you can use each one to get your free credit report. You'll do this on a rotating basis, so it's important to make a plan and stick with it. For example:
1. Order your free Equifax credit report on August 1
2. Order your free Experian credit report on December 1
3. Order your free Transunion credit report on April 1
4. The cycle begins again when you order your free Equifax credit report on August 1
By following a schedule like this one you'll be able to monitor your credit for free year-round.
– How to stop identity theft tip: Your credit report provides a wealth of information to stop identity theft, including the ability to review all open accounts, see who has accessed your account for information, see who has attempted to start a new line of credit or open a new credit card account, and more. Use this valuable information to notify a company of any irregular credit activity.
Don't be an ID theft victim. Now that you know how to stop identity theft, start protecting your identity today.