Steps in Correcting Your Credit Report

If you are a US citizen then you have the right to have an accurate credit report. Any misinformation must be corrected by the consumer reporting company or the company that is providing the information to them.

Consequently, if you see inaccurate information in your credit report, contact the consumer reporting company and tell them you found wrong information in your credit report and you want it corrected.

How do you do this?

You need to completely and clearly state your problem and then show them what is wrong and why you think it is wrong.

To do this you should do the following:

* Tell them in writing. Do not phone them or send them an e-mail.

* Give them your complete name and address

* Explain clearly and succinctly, what the problem is and why you believe it is wrong. Use as many facts as possible. Make sure you do this for every item that is wrong.

* Also, make sure that you state what you want them to do about it, which is, delete it or correct it.

* Include copies, but not the originals, of any documents that you think is pertinent to proving your point.

* You may want to enclose an actual copy of your report and circle the items in dispute.

* Send your letter by certified mail with a return receipt requested, so you can document when the consumer reporting company was contacted.

* Keep copies of your dispute letter and enclosures.

The consumer reporting companies must

* Investigate the questionable items, usually within 30 days

* Forward all the relevant data you provide about the inaccuracy to the person or company that provided the information to them in the first place.

* Correct any misinformation in the credit report – if the report was indeed inaccurate

* Provide you the written results and a free copy of your report if the dispute results in a change.

* Not put any wrong information back in the file, if the dispute was found to be true.

* Send you written notice which includes the contact information of the information provider.

The information provider must then

* Investigate and review the information

* Report the results back to the consumer reporting company

* Contact all three nationwide consumer reporting companies – if they concur that there was an error. If the information provider finds the information is inaccurate, it must notify all so they can correct the information in your file.

Source by Bill Cash

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *